Experience best-in-class performance with the highest level of processing power offered for AVENTAGE network AV receivers. This 11.2-channel AVENTAGE network AV receiver features Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for surround sound realism, while offering high-resolution audio playback and access to streaming music services via the built-in Wi-Fi. With the latest in HDMI technologies, experience movies in stunning 4K Ultra HD and high dynamic range (HDR). Enjoy high-resolution audio playback and access to online music with built-in Wi-Fi, connect a smartphone or tablet with Bluetooth for quick wireless access to your music streaming services or use the phono input to listen to your favorites on vinyl. This device also supports MusicCast to deliver wireless multiroom audio playback, all controlled by a simple app.
What's included in the box
- The AVENTAGE Advantage: Craftsmanship in engineering design. The AVENTAGE line of high-performance AV receivers is based on the audio design concept of providing a massive, full-bodied sound for movie sound effects and the accurate reproduction of music sources. By expertly harmonizing traditional and advanced technologies, every factor that affects sound quality, from materials and parts to construction, layout, vibration damping (unique foot) and “fine-tuning” the sound, is handled with no other thought than to achieve the best possible audio quality. As a result, every AVENTAGE model has the ability to reproduce the most subtle details of high-definition sound, so that listeners can enjoy a truly high-class sound studio experience at home.
- High Quality Parts for Optimum Performance: The whole is greater than the sum. Every single part in an AV receiver affects the sound quality. For AVENTAGE models, extra time is taken to find (or develop) the exact parts needed to achieve the highest performance possible. Sound technicians go through a testing process to, in effect, "tune" the receiver’s sound.
- Total Purity: Enjoy fine sound quality. The Total Purity Concept, which Yamaha has been cultivating for many years, encompasses high drive amp technology, high purity preamplification, anti-vibration technology and independent pure power supplies. All models have fully discrete power amplifiers that help minimize distortion. They also adopt pure independent power supplies, allowing dedicated power supplies for the analog and digital circuitry to prevent digital noise from affecting analog circuitry. The anti-vibration heat sinks are designed to suppress vibration from transistors and sound pressure. Independent power supplies for the DACs are designed to further eliminate noise on certain models. Down to every detail, these AV receivers are designed with full emphasis on the highest possible sound quality.
- Symmetrical Power Amplifier: Designed to the details. The interior of the unit has been precisely planned, circuit-routed and built so that the left and right channels are physically and electrically isolated. This naturally maximizes channel separation but also greatly improves signal to noise ratio and also helps to achieve a wide open sound stage for a superior receiver.
- H-shaped Frame: Reinforced for rigidity. The interior of the receiver is reinforced with cross members in an H shape to provide an extremely rigid and stable frame. This reduces chassis vibration to virtually zero even during high volume output (seemingly minor vibrations can affect the sound), maintaining the highest audio quality
- Aluminum Front Panel: Shielded from noise. All of the AVENTAGE components feature the same sleek, clean design, with an elegant aluminum front panel and silky touch volume/selector knobs. The aluminum front panel is used to effectively shield sensitive circuitry from external noise and electronic radiation generated by dimmer switches, fluorescent lighting, video monitors and so on. This ensures optimum sonic performance in the widest range of installation environments.
- MusicCast: Multiroom audio. MusicCast makes it easy to bring music to every room in your home wirelessly with playback controlled by a simple app. Start with a MusicCast capable AV receiver in your main entertainment room for the ultimate home theater experience, then add MusicCast speakers, sound bars or Hi-Fi components in other rooms wirelessly.
- All Your Content: MusicCast allows you to access your digital music library, streaming music services and Internet radio, as well as Bluetooth sources, your TV sound and external sources attached to your AV receiver, such as a Blu-ray disc player or CD player.
- Bluetooth: Play your favorite streaming service. This AV receiver is equipped with Bluetooth functionality to let you enjoy easy wireless music playback from mobile devices. The Compressed Music Enhancer from Yamaha is now optimized for Bluetooth audio transmissions to ensure that your music will have vivid, lively sound quality during wireless playback.
- Bluetooth Output: In and out. The RX-A660 is equipped with the latest Bluetooth technology, making wireless operation more convenient than ever. You can stream music from the RX-A660 to Bluetooth headphones for private listening or to Bluetooth speakers.
- Easily Set Up MusicCast with Your Smartphone or Tablet: Use your smartphone or tablet together with the MusicCast CONTROLLER app to operate the speaker and change settings quickly and easily. The same Controller app functions as a remote control for all your MusicCast-compatible devices too.
- Wi-Fi and Wireless Direct: Smarter connectivity. Built-in Wi-Fi allows for a wireless connection with your wireless router, greatly simplifying system connections for enjoying networked audio (PC / NAS) and music streaming services. If a Wi-Fi router is not available, the unique Wireless Direct feature not only allows you to stream music directly from your smartphone or tablet via the AV Controller App, AirPlay etc., but also allows for control of the AV receiver as well.
- AirPlay: This AV receiver supports AirPlay, which means they can accept wireless music streaming from iPod touch, iPhone or iPad, as well as from iTunes on Macs or PCs. This makes it easy to enjoy music from your mobile devices or computer on your home theater system. You can use view metadata such as song title, artist name as well as album art via AV receiver's on-screen display.
- Spotify Connect: access to millions of songs. Now you can stream those songs to your networked Yamaha AV receiver by using Spotify Connect. Just hit play to start streaming music. When you listen to Spotify outside on your mobile device and come inside, the song immediately streams to your Yamaha AV receiver allowing no interruption to your music playback. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music on Spotify.
- Dolby Atmos: Enter a new world of sound with Dolby Atmos. It transports you from an ordinary moment into an extraordinary experience with captivating, multidimensional sound that fills your room with amazing richness and depth. Music, people, and objects come alive in breathtaking detail and flow in precise choreography all around you, making you feel like you are truly there. The combination of Dolby Atmos and Yamaha AV receivers will fill the room with multidimensional sound that makes you feel as if you are right in the middle of the story unfolding on the screen.
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. The combination of DTS:X and Yamaha AV receivers will fill the room with multidimensional sound that makes you feel as if you are right in the middle of the story unfolding on the screen
- Speaker Layout Patterns: Multiple placement patterns are available for presence speakers that support Dolby Atmos & DTS:X, creating a sound field that’s ideal for your setup. Any layout can be appropriately reproduced, including the three-dimensional space of CINEMA DSP as well as both sound formats.
- 4K, HDR and BT.2020: Darker blacks, whiter whites and more vivid colors. This unit supports the latest HDMI standards thanks to the transmission of 4K video at 60 frames per second (pass-through only). Fully enjoy the high definition video quality of 4K without degradation along with HDCP 2.2 that fully complies with the latest copyright protection, a standard for 4K video transmission. It also supports the wider color gamut of BT.2020 pass-through.
- SCENE for One-Touch Start: Pressing a SCENE button powers on the AV receiver and selects the input source and DSP mode. You can re-set the buttons for different sources by selecting a source and DSP mode, then pressing a SCENE button for more than three seconds.
- HDMI with 3D and Audio Return Channel: 3D means the receiver can handle 3D signal data. The Audio Return Channel function enables data to be sent and received via the same HDMI cable, so you can hear the sound from the TV via a single HDMI cable, with no need for an extra optical cable.
- HDMI CEC: Another benefit of HDMI is the availability of CEC functionality. When the unit is connected to a CEC compatible TV, it will turn on and off together with the TV, and you can use the TV remote to control the volume. CEC also provides advanced functionality with other components. For example, you can use the receiver’s remote unit to control player functions like Skip and Stop. All connected devices must be HDMI CEC compatible. Some CEC compatible TVs / players may not work.
- Codec Support: This AV receiver is compatible with many audio formats such as Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. It is also compatible with high-resolution audio codecs such as DSD / AIFF / FLAC / WAV / Apple Lossless. You will enjoy the excellent sound quality of these various high-resolution audio codecs from the USB input on the front panel or from network connected devices.
- Compressed Music Enhancer: Hear more. When music is encoded into a digitally compressed format like MP3, the frequency response suffers. The Compressed Music Enhancer from Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing using exclusive algorithms to restore what was lost, so the music always sounds the way it should.
- Gapless Playback: No intermissions. Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard.
- YPAO Sound Optimization: YPAO analyzes the room acoustics and adjusts various audio parameters for optimum sound in just a few minutes. It’s like having a professional installer calibrate your system.
- HD Audio with CINEMA DSP 3D and Virtual Presence Speaker: CINEMA DSP 3D provides a wide, high and dense sound field. HD Audio format decoding lets you enjoy HD Audio sources. Virtual Presence Speaker delivers 3-dimensional sound without actual use of presence speakers.
- Zone Extra Bass for Added Bass in Zone 2: Use the Extra Bass feature to amplify bass tones, not just in your main room but also on systems in Zone 2. Even with compact or in-wall speakers which typically lack bass, you’ll hear all your sources with powerful bass sound.
- Zone Volume Equalizer for Optimum Sound Balance in Zone 2: Automatically adjusts bass and treble balance to match the volume on systems in Zone 2. Enjoy movies and music with a natural sound quality balance even at low volumes.
- Support for 21:9 Aspect Ratio: The 21:9 aspect ratio support is designed to show films recorded in the Cinema Scope format. When these films are viewed in the usual 16:9 ratio, you see black bars at the top and bottom of the screen; 21:9 eliminates these bars. By supporting 21:9 resolution, this model will be able to pass it through so that movies and games feel much more immersive. *This feature is not supported with some PC monitors with specific IT specification design.
- Advanced Graphical User Interface: Multilingual user interface. The latest graphical user interface from Yamaha has a high-resolution display with clear, easy-to-use menus and also includes a selectable status bar that shows input source, volume level, DSP mode and audio format. The GUI provides a choice of eight languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Japanese and Chinese and can be displayed over both normal and 3D pictures.
- Ultra-high Performance DACs: Superior sound quality. A high-quality ESS ES9006A 24-bit DAs powers the channels to create sound reproduction for the most discriminating of listeners.
- Virtual Presence and Surround Back Speakers: Be virtually surrounded. The Virtual Presence Speaker function makes full use of center and surround speakers to create virtual presence speakers. Enjoy CINEMA DSP 3D Mode surround sound even in environments where speaker installation is limited. In addition, This model also features a Virtual Surround Back Speaker function. Even without using surround back speakers, you can experience more natural sound from behind you.
- Yamaha Video Processing: Upscaling for smoothness. With expertise in engineering exceptional video projectors, Yamaha has produced various advanced processing techniques that are applied to this AV receiver’s video upscaling capabilities. These include edge adaptive deinterlacing to smooth out jaggy noise, motion adaptive deinterlacing to detect moving or still images and multi-cadence detection that includes 3-2 pull-down.
- Virtual CINEMA FRONT Surround Sound: Enjoy virtual surround sound. Even when it is impossible to install surround speakers behind the listening position, Virtual CINEMA DSP reproduces virtual surround sound filled with realism, from only front speakers. The Virtual CINEMA FRONT feature lets you place two surround speakers and a center speaker at the front to enjoy virtual surround sound with even higher quality and resolution, as well as superior rear virtual sound localization. Adding two additional front presence speakers provides a three-dimensional sound field that gives you a feeling of its height and depth and of the vertical movement of the sound. You get more flexibility to arrange your speakers inside the room, along with easy enjoyment of high quality surround sound.
- Rich Bass Reproduction: Feel your lows. This exclusive low-range enhancement technology delivers richer bass than you would expect from smaller sized speakers while maintaining good localization and sound balance even with compact front speakers. When a subwoofer is used, it improves the volume of the entire low range of the speaker system, not only the front speakers, but also enhancing the bass from the subwoofer. You'll enjoy video and music with sound that has exceptional power and presence.
- Subwoofer Trim: Improved sound imaging. The Subwoofer Trim Control enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output. This will result in a cleaner, more focused soundstage while providing a seamless frequency response. When subwoofer frequency overlap occurs in conventional systems, the overall sound is “pushed” toward the subwoofer. Subwoofer Trim Control takes care of this by separating the low subwoofer frequencies cleanly, thus stabilizing the front stage while providing a well-balanced enhanced bass sound.
- AV Controller App: Easy and convenient operation. This AV receiver lets you use the Yamaha AV Controller App that is downloadable from iTunes, Google Play or the Amazon App store to control the power, volume, input selections, DSP modes and much, much more from an iPhone® or Android™ device. You can also use as many as 23 different languages and customize the interface by hiding unused icons and renaming functions. A tablet version is also available.
- DSP Adjustment: Create sound fields at home. This AV receiver is equipped with a variety of sound programs that utilize original DSP technologies from Yamaha. These sound programs allow you to easily create sound fields like actual movie theaters or concert halls in your room to enjoy natural stereoscopic sound fields. It is now possible to use the AV Controller App to adjust the DSP parameters in a basic or advanced mode to match the mood of your favorite movie or music album.
- AV SETUP GUIDE: Install with ease. The AV SETUP GUIDE makes it much easier to perform the set up process with the Yamaha AV receiver. This app assists you with cable connections between the AV receiver and source devices. Additionally, it guides you through various settings such as speaker connections, TV and source device connections and power amplifier assignments. System illustrations and actual AV receiver images help you understand how to make the connections between devices. It is available in multiple languages and is designed for iOS and Android tablets.
- ECO Mode: Go green. When ECO mode is turned on it can reduce power consumption by about 20 percent.
- Channel: 9.2
- Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven): 165 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
- Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven): 150 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)
- Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA): 230 W (8 ohms, 10% THD)
- Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms): 175 / 220 / 295 / 410 W
Surround Sound Processing
- CINEMA DSP: Yes (3D)
- DSP Programs: 23
- Dialog Level Adjustment: Yes
- Virtual Presence Speaker: Yes
- Virtual Surround Back Speaker: Yes
- Dialogue Lift: Yes (no presence speakers required)
- SILENT CINEMA / Virtual CINEMA DSP: Yes (Virtual CINEMA FRONT)
- Dolby Atmos: Yes
- Dolby TrueHD: Yes
- Dolby Digital Plus: Yes
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Yes
- DTS:X: Yes
- DTS-HD Master Audio: Yes
- Pure Direct : Yes (with video on mode)
- Compressed Music Enhancer: Yes
- YPAO multi-point measurement: Yes with R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control), 3D and Angle measurement
- YPAO Volume: Yes
- Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control): Yes
- Initial Volume & Maximum Volume Setting: Yes
- A.R.T. Wedge: Yes
- Bi-amp capability: Yes
- Audio Delay: Yes(0-500 ms)
- 192kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels: Yes (ESS)
- 4K Ultra HD pass-through: Yes (4K / 60p, 4:4:4)
- HDMI 3D pass-through: Yes
- HDMI Audio Return Channel: Yes
- HDMI upscaling: Yes (Analog to HDMI / HDMI to HDMI)
- Video adjustment: Yes
- Deep Color/x.v.Color/24Hz Refresh Rate /Auto Lip-Sync: Yes
- HDMI Input/Output: 8 (HDMI 1-7:HDCP2.2 compatible) / 2 (HDCP2.2 compatible)
- HDMI CEC: Yes (SCENE, Device Control)
- USB Input: USB Memory, Portable Audio Player
- Network Port: Yes
- Wi-Fi: Yes (with Wireless Direct)
- AirPlay: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes (SBC / AAC)
- Front AV Input: HDMI / USB / Analog Audio / Composite
- Digital Audio Input/Output: Optical: 3 / 0
- Digital Audio Input/Output: Coaxial: 3 / 0
- Analog Audio Input/Output: 9 (front 1) / 0
- Phono Input: Yes
- Component Video Input/Output: 3 / 1
- Composite Video Input/Output: 5 / 1
- Preout: 11.2-ch
- Headphone Output: 1
- On-screen display: Graphical User Inter face
- SCENE: SCENE PLUS (12 sets)
- App Control: Yes (iPhone / iPad / Android phone / tablet)
- Remote Control Unit: Yes
- Web Browser Control: Yes
- Zone 2 Audio Output: Preout / HDMI
- Zone 3 Audio Output: Preout
- Zone 4 Audio Output: HDMI
- Powered Zone: Zone 2 / 3
- Zone Video Output: HDMI / Component / Composite
- Zone HDMI : Yes (Advanced HDMI Zone Switching)
- Zone B Output: HDMI
- Zone GUI: Yes
- RS-232C Interface: Yes
- +12V Trigger Output: 2
- Remote (IR) Input/Output: 1 / 1
- Party Mode: Yes
- Standby Power Consumption (IR only): ≤0.1W
- Auto Power Standby: Yes
- ECO mode: Yes
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 17-1/8” x 7-1/2” x 18-5/8” (with antenna: 17-1/8” x 9-3/4” x 18-5/8”)
- Weight: 39.9 lbs.