If you've spent the time and money to put together a truly stunning A/V system, you need state-of-the-art noise filtration and power protection to ensure your gear is operating at peak performance. Panamax has been in the power protection business for over 25 years, and their MAX 5500 ACRegenerator is one of their most advanced power systems ever. For discriminating audiophiles, it can be the difference between a great system and the perfect system. Line conditioning is not a one-size-fits-all proposition. That's why the MAX 5500 features AC outlets that are designed for specific types of A/V gear. The four switchable outlets for digital source components (like DVD and CD players) are fed through the True Isolation Transformer, so you'll get clean, regenerated power that is completely isolated from the source as well as all other outlets. The two delayed outlets are for high-current gear like amplifiers and subwoofers, providing filtered power without limiting the available current. And the four Always-On outlets utilize Panamax's "Balanced Double L" circuitry to virtually eliminate EMI/RF interference ideal for analog components like VCRs and TVs. There's even a single front-panel AC outlet that lets you quickly connect a temporary component, like a video game system or camcorder.You can also adjust the unit's delay settings to start up and shut down individual components sequentially, which helps eliminate the annoying, and potentially damaging, "thumps" that occur when all your components are powered on or off at once. Of course, the MAX 5500 is also an advanced surge protector that reacts within a nanosecond (a billionth of a second!) to stop power surges dead in their tracks. Also, Panamax's unique SurgeGate Plus™ circuitry detects a prolonged over- or under-voltage condition and disconnects the equipment. When the power returns to a safe level, the Max 5500 then automatically reconnects the power. The advanced circuitry even protects the unit itself! Panamax's Signal Perfect technology adds signal protection for four coax lines (2 DBS and 2 antenna/cable) and one telephone line.
What's included in the box
- Max 5500 ACRegenerator
- 10' AC power cord
- Four 4' RG-6 coaxial cables
- 5' RJ-11 telephone cord
- 1 Convenience lamp with 5W halogen bulb
- 4 Metal rack ears
- 16 Machine screws
- 16 Plastic washers
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty sheet
- Tri-Power Filtration System: Four AC outlets are for digital source components and are completely isolated from the rest of the system. Four more outlets use separate "balanced double L" filtration circuits to eliminate EMI/RFI noise. Two delayed turn-on outlets provide clean, filtered power without limiting the current available to the connected equipment.
- SurgeGate Plus Circuitry: The exclusive SurgeGate Plus Circuitry is a "power monitoring" system that protects AC equipment against prolonged over-voltages and under-voltages. In the event of a prolonged over-voltage or under-voltage, the SurgeGate Plus Circuitry will disconnect power to the connected equipment, then automatically reconnect it once power has returned to a safe level.
- SignalPerfect Circuitry: Gold-plated connectors and shielded SignalPerfect Circuitry provide the best protection possible for standard cable TV. For the telephone line, SignalPerfect Circuitry provides optimized signal line surge protection ensuring a clean, clear connection. SignalPerfect Circuitry has auto-resetting phone line protection and is DSL ready.
- Protect or Disconnect Circuitry: In the event of a catastrophic surge, such as lightning, the Protect or Disconnect Circuitry completely disconnects power to all connected equipment.
- Voltmeter: The backlit Voltmeter monitors the incoming voltage from the wall receptacle and provides a visual representation of the available power. The Voltmeter is always on and indicates the incoming line voltage even during an unsafe voltage condition.
- Ammeter: The Ammeter measures the amount of current being drawn by the connected equipment and the MAX 5500. The MAX 5500 does use a small amount of power and its current is included. The Ammeter needle will fluctuate as music or movie soundtracks call upon the amplifiers to reproduce thunderous bass notes. During an unsafe voltage condition, the Ammeter will continue measuring the amount of current being drawn by the MAX 5500, but since all of the connected equipment has been disconnected by the SurgeGate Plus circuitry, the needle will be only slightly above zero.
- Meter Light Knob: A Meter Light knob to the left of the Ammeter allows you to adjust the brightness level of the Ammeter and Voltmeter backlighting from full intensity to completely off.
- Sequential Startup/Shutdown: Complex audio/video systems may be susceptible to voltage transients generated internally at start-up/shutdown if all of the equipment is powered on or off at the same time. This can cause speaker "thumps", which can damage your speakers. The MAX 5500 is designed to eliminate these transients by providing a "start-up" delay for the High-Current outlets and a "shutdown" delay for the switched Isolation Transformer Outlets.
- Filtered Outlet Banks 1 & 2: Four outlets (two banks/two outlets per bank) are fed through separate "Balanced, Double L" noise filtration circuits. These circuits are designed to eliminate the noise contamination of the AC power that is most detrimental to the performance of analog or video components like stereo receivers, VCRs or televisions. The two dedicated filters are carefully engineered to provide power filtration and inter-component noise isolation for both common-mode (line/neutral-to-ground) and normal mode (line-to-neutral) EMI/RFI. This means that high-frequency interference will be drastically reduced not only from the incoming power but also from equipment plugged into the other outlet banks, regardless of what "mode" it occurs in. Even equipment with ungrounded, 2-blade plugs, receives clean power.
- Isolation Transformer Outlet Bank (Isolated Outlets): Four outlets are fed power through the heart of the MAX 5500, the Isolation Transformer. These outlets should be used for digital components such as DVD players, CD players, etc. Pure, clean power is obtained by using the isolation transformer to regenerate the AC current. The power from a typical wall outlet is contaminated with electromagnetic (EMI) and radio frequency (RFI) interference (noise) picked up by the power lines between the power utility's generating plant and the wall outlet. This contaminated power feeds the isolation transformer's primary winding and is regenerated (through electromagnetic induction) as clean power on the isolated secondary winding. Together, these outlets can be set as Always-On or with a turn-off delay of either 10 or 30 seconds to prevent speaker "thump".
- High-Current Outlet Bank: The two high-current outlets allow amplifiers and powered subwoofers to work to their full potential. The High-Current Outlet Bank provides clean, filtered power to amplifiers but has no current-limiting components to impede performance. The high-current outlets are designed with a turn-on delay option of 0, 10 or 30 seconds. The 3-position, High-Current Outlets Turn-On Switch on the back of the MAX 5500 is used to select the desired time delay. When a delay is selected, the high-current outlets will turn on after the isolated outlets and turn off before the isolated outlets (if they are not set to Always-On).
- Convenience Outlet: A single outlet on the front panel of the MAX 5500 provides an easy-to-reach power source for components like video game systems and camcorders. The convenience outlet not only provides superior surge suppression, but also taps into one of the Balanced Double L Filter Circuits to provide clean power for your sensitive electronic equipment. This outlet is an Always-On outlet and will continually supply a steady source of power for your connected equipment.
- Filtered Outlet Banks: 55dB (100kHz-1MHz)
- Isolation Transformer Outlets: 120dB (100kHz-1MHz)
- High-Current Outlets: 50dB (100kHz-1MHz)
- UL 1449 Surge Suppression Rating: 330V
- Protection Modes: L-N, L-G, N-G
- Initial Clamping Level: 200V peak, 141V RMS
- Response Time: under 1 nanosecond
- Joule Rating: 2325 Joules
- Peak Impulse Current: 91,000A
- Line Voltage: 120VAC
- Maximum Current Rating: 15A (1800 watts)
- Over-voltage Shutoff Threshold: 132V
- Under-voltage Shutoff Threshold: 90V
- Voltage and Polarity: 12VDC, bi-directional
- Current Requirement: 30mA
- Clamping Level: 27V
- Attenuation: <1dB from 950MHz-2.2GHz
- Clamping Level: 0.7V
- Attenuation: <1dB from 50MHz-950MHz
- Clamping Level: 260V
- Capacitance: approximately 30pf
- Suppression Modes: metallic and longitudinal
- Number of Outlets:11
- Always On Outlets: up to 8
- Switched Outlets: up to 4
- Delayed Outlets: 2
- Cord Length: 10 ft.
- Plug Type: Straight
- Length: 12"
- Width: 17.25"
- Height: 3.5"
- Weight: 26 lbs